Did Allama Iqbal have Syphilis?

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Dr. Shabbir

Did Allama Iqbal have Syphilis?

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dr. Shabbir Sahib,

I have a question of confirmation to obtain and you came to mind as a person who has done research into Allamah Iqbal's life. I quote from a book I am reading:
Book- Speaking of Empires and Resistance, Conversation with Tariq Ali.
Tariq Ali and davidbarsamian SBN 1-920769-44-7 Published 2005.

Quotation from end of page 107:
"To this day no one ever mentions that he(Iqbal) died of syphilis because he ised to visit whorehouse of Lahore a bit too often,some thing not very well known"
Can you confirm of refute this statement? He does not give his source reference!

Salaams-- Rashid Samnakay, South Africa
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Respected Rashid Samnakay Bhai Saheb, Assalam alaikum!

This a horrendous slander on the great personality of Allama Iqbal. The perpetrators of this crime were the poets Josh Maleehabadi and Firaq Gorakhpuri. Both were jealous of Allama Iqbal's fame and class and made up the rumour after Allama's death. They also belonged to the Communist 'free thinker' poets of their times.

The great Allama died of cancer of the throat, probably caused by HUQQAH, for which he was under treatment by Hakeem Naabeena of Delhi since 1936. He had also received the primitive form of radiation therapy for the cancer. Allama's collection of letters (four volumes) goes into great detail of his symptoms and treatment.

He never visited any whorehouses. Look at his own couplet about himself. This was never refuted by his critics during his lifetime.

LAIKIN YEH SUNAA USS KE MUREEDON SE HAI MEIN NAIN
BAY DAAGH HAI MAANIND-E-SAHAR USS KI JAWAANI

(Even his youth was spotless like a refreshing dawn.)

Tariq Ali belongs to the secular group of thinkers who oppose Allama since Communism was taken by Urdu poets pushing atheism under the umbrella of 'free thinking'.

Sincerely,

Your brother,
Shabbir
Wassalam,
SA