Abortion - Adil Salahi

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Dr. Shabbir

Abortion - Adil Salahi

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Scholars must not mean mullas. The poster has not referred to the Quran at all.
-SA
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aborting a Pregnancy for Medical Reasons
Adil Salahi, Arab News

Q. If it is confirmed that a pregnancy will result in the child having a serious mental disorder, such as the Down Syndrome, is it permissible for the mother to resort to abortion?
(Name and address withheld)

A. Abortion is allowed in Islam only when there is serious risk to the life of the mother or the child, or serious health risk to the mother. This applies at any time during the pregnancy. If the health risk is to the child only and the case is confirmed in the early period of pregnancy, a number of scholars would say that it is permissible to abort, provided that the pregnancy is less than 120 days. The majority of scholars, however, do not allow abortion in such cases, on grounds that medical research could still make advancements and could be able in future to cure the abnormality. Besides, it is not for us to decide which life is worth preserving or not. Medical research has made some advancement in dealing with diseases such as the Down Syndrome, and it could make further advancements at any time. So, why should it be left to a human being, whose knowledge is limited to the present, to decide to terminate a pregnancy on account of its having a risk of some mental disorder?
Having said that, I should add that there can be no single answer to cover all cases. In fact, every case should be dealt with on its own, taking into account all relevant information and all factors that may have a bearing on its outcome. When abortion is advised by medical experts looking at a particular case, scholars have to be consulted to determine whether abortion is permissible in that case or not.

THIS POST IS BY ADIL SALAHI, NOT BY DR. SHABBIR
Wassalam,
SA
noman waseem

Abortion - Adil Salahi

Post by noman waseem »

Salam Aleikum,

Excellent reasoning; I was not aware that the Qur'an referenced abortion. Of course it is to be expected as it is a guide for all of humanity.

As a side note, schizophrenia is thought to have been a natural occurence in 1-2% of the population in every society in recorded history. Since it seems to occur in greater numbers in the West today, I wonder if there any records of rates of schizophrenia in the Islamic State.

Thank you for your time
Noman Waseem
Ahmed Mateen

Abortion - Adil Salahi

Post by Ahmed Mateen »

Salam,

What I could understand from brother Arnold’s post is:

>>>
The abortion of down syndrome children is a matter of comfort of parents thus not permissible because Allah Provides the means of nourishment as per 17:31.
<<<

Allah doesn’t provide directly to the poor parents what they need for their handicapped children. It’s the responsibility of Islamic State to provide with all the health facilities needed by its citizens. People living in Countries where they have low income, High frequency of disease and high cost of medical treatment only could make their problems worst if they don’t abort their handicapped children.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Abortion - Adil Salahi

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salam,

I also never implied that Allah provided for them directly. This is only correctly done in an Islamic State an is almost correctly done now in some Western States.
Furqan Ahmed

Abortion - Adil Salahi

Post by Furqan Ahmed »

Dear A. Yasin,

The arabic word used for child(ren) is 'Aulaad' root word is 'WALAD'. I think this root word has a basic meaning of already "BORN" not to be BORN.

Correct me if I am wrong....
Furq@n Ahmed
Arnold Yasin Mol

Abortion - Adil Salahi

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Waw-Lam-Dal

A child, son, daughter, youngling, or young one; and children,
sons, daughters, ofspring, young, or younglings; of any kind: [often applied to an unborn child, &c.; a foetus]

Yalidu coming from the same root means "They will beget".
Alidu coming from the same root means "Will bear a child"; "I will give birth"

It is used for children who are born, as well as children who are not born yet, or are just given birth too. It is also used for children who were born premature. And even for slaves, doesn't matter if they are old or not.

Lane's Lexicon Volume 8 Page 220