Mistakes done due to ignorance

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Naushad

Post by Naushad »

Salaam alay kum,

I have asked this question on few N2I websites in the past and have received varying answers. Will we be punished for mistakes that we commit during our life due to ignorance about certain matters? The traditional "ULEMA" say that most of the time the person will be held accountable as it was his religious responsibility to inquire about a matter before performing it out of ignorance etc. For example, mullahs are divided that if a person will be held accountable if he commits zina (mutually consented) without knowing that it is haraam. This may happen to someone who is new to Islam and have not attained even the basic knowledge.
This is just an extreme example but I hope you get my point. I personally believe that Allah's goal is not to punish us and he is rather merciful beyond our imagination. As long as we dont commit sins knowingly and deliberately than I believe we will be pardoned. What is your opinion in this matter. Thanks.

Naushad, Atlanta, USA.
noman waseem

Post by noman waseem »

There are plenty of verses in the Quran that give reference to this:

2:225 Allah will not task you for your senseless swearing. He holds you responsible for your intentional doings. Allah is Forgiving, Clement. (Therefore, a marriage will not be dissolved for senseless utterances of the husband or the wife).

2:286 Allah tasks not and expects not from anyone more than his capacity. Any challenges that come your way, afford you a chance to expand your “Self”. For the “Self” is what it earns and against it is only what it deserves. Pray, “Our Lord! Take us not to task if we forget or miss the mark! Our Lord! Protect us from placing extra burden on ourselves as those before us caused to be placed on them. Our Lord! Impose not on us anything beyond our strength. (And if we falter), pardon us, absolve us, and bestow Grace upon us. You are our Supreme Master, so help us prevail over the community of deniers.”

4:17 Allah graciously accepts the repentance of those who do evil in ignorance, and then return quickly to the right conduct. Allah turns to them in Mercy. He is the Knower, the Wise.

4:18 The forgiveness is not for those who commit transgressions until death comes to one of them and he says, “ Behold, I repent now.” (They have no time to make mends). Nor is the forgiveness for those who die as deniers of the Truth. We have prepared an awful suffering for them.

4:40 Allah wrongs not anyone even the weight of an atom; and He multiplies a good deed, and from His Own Presence grants a great reward.

However I believe that this forgiveness is not extended to those who make no attempt what-so-ever to verify the information that has been provided to them. If a person does his/her best to verify any information provided to them on a continual basis and is still in a state of ignorance, then I believe Allah will extend His Mercy to such people.
Noman Waseem
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Aleikum,

Noman posted the right verses to answer your question, but one thing must be clarified. There is no such thing as 'forgiveness' in Islam. When you have done a past deed which is wrong, you cannot compansate it by feeling regret. A deed is not blotted out by an emotion, it is compensated by a deed:

4:17 Allah graciously accepts the repentance of those who do evil in ignorance, and then return quickly to the right conduct. Allah turns to them in Mercy. He is the Knower, the Wise.

This is thus not doing the bad act anymore. Saying sorry is not enough, you must not do the wrong act anymore, only then does your regret be accepted.

6:54 When those who believe in Our Revelations come to you, say, SALAMUN ALAIKUM (Peace be upon you!) Your Lord has decreed for Himself Mercy. Thus anyone among you who commits a bad deed out of ignorance, and then repents and makes amends should know that He is Gafuurur-Rahiim.

25:70 Except him who repents and believes in the Permanent Moral Values and takes corrective action. For such, Allah will replace the ill effects of their deeds with the balancing effects of good deeds. For, Allah is Ghafuurar-Rahiimaa.

The term Gafuurur-Rahiim means, He protects those against the consequences of their deeds by giving them the opportunity to behave correctly from them on for those who strive for that opportunity.

Ghafour comes from Ghafara, meaning to cover and protect as a harnas and helmet.
Raheem is He who gives endlessly for those who strive for it.

So the last verse will be:

25:70 Except him who repents and believes in the Permanent Moral Values and takes corrective action. For such, Allah will replace the ill effects of their deeds with the balancing effects of good deeds. For, Allah is Ghafuurar-Rahiimaa, protecting them against the consequences of their past deeds by giving them the opportunity to behave correctly from them on for those who strive for that opportunity.

This shows directly how Allah's Law of Requital works. Allah is Ghafour, like a protective helmet He protects you by providing Guidance.

11:114 Strive to establish and consolidate the Divine System, day and night. Actions that create balance in the society remove the ill effects of inequities. Good deeds remove bad deeds. This is a reminder for those who pay attention.

Good deeds replace bad deeds so that they don't matter anymore in the Next Life. Your bad deeds will not be forgotten, but they are compensated.