BARSI (Death Anniversary)

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Salaam dear Dr. Saheb,

Hope this finds you well.

There is enormous pressure from my new in-laws (fervent N2Is) with regard to me attending the 'Barsi' of my wife's grandfather today. There is a dinner along with recitation. Something like this, of course, has never been observed in our house, and from what I remember, we are not supposed to attend any such observances, much less eat of the dinner, which is at best "Fatiha padha hua", or at worst (I assume) "padha hua Bade Peer Saheb ke naam par".

Please enlighten us on whether we should attend such observances, which are clearly Bid'ah manifest. I am ready to risk my in-laws' ire for what is right; Allah knows I am otherwise a dutiful husband mindful of all his Muslim duties.

Also, can we eat food (made on 'Barsis' or otherwise) that is "Fatiha padha hua"?

Wassalaam
xyz
------------------------------------

Dear xyz, WA

This is more of a social event designed to share grief. I see nothing wrong in it. SURAH FATIHA (parha hua) cannot make the food Haraam. Say BISMILLAH as usual and eat it.

The Qur'an does not forbid us from remembering our ancestors. It forbids following their wrong beliefs and actions.

May Allah bless you!
Wassalam,
SA
shahalam66

Post by shahalam66 »

Dear XYZ,

As Dr. Shabbir explained, we can eat all the food that is permissible for us to eat. As long as chemistry of the food does not harm the biology of our body.

Therefore, let’s take your question and modify it to read: How does a Fatiha recited food, like in the name of an exalted Peer, differs from the same other food that has not been recited upon?

Actually nature has set some mechanics to perform (not govern) our physical life on earth. Thus our body is impacted by three things; physics, chemistry and biology. Superstition does not have any place in it. For example, to find food we must first plant the seed and wait for its biological process to create food for us. If we are hurt in a road accident, it is because physics applied to create the damaging impact on our body.

Similarly, if we are so fond of peers and halwas despite our fasting >350 mg/dL, then sooner or later we shall be in the grave because of the work of chemistry and then the biology upon us. And there will be next generational round of halwa on our bersi. On the other hand if we are intelligent enough and take our medication regularly, then chemistry and biologically may help our body. And if the doctor prescribes some exercise along with medication, it actually means that our body must work through physics to lose extra calories that unwanted for our biology.

So we must be thankful for everything that we have for us and let's not contaminate our mind with anything else. It is high time Muslims give up looking for more of such questions and begin looking for answers.
shahalam
NISAR AHMAD

Post by NISAR AHMAD »

dear sir Dr Shabbir Salam
Is the food in the name of GHARYIN sharif (padha hua Bade Peer Saheb ke naam par) as stated by xyz.
or nayaz on graves is permissionable ?
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear Nisar Saheb,

If someone recites a Surah on the food, there should be no problem. But if any food is dedicated to other than Allah, it becomes non-Permissible.

For details, please read ZABEEHA in the Blog.
Wassalam,
SA