Aging

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Sidqi

Aging

Post by Sidqi »

Salam All,

I would like to read your opinions on Aging.

Before the development of modern medicine and surgery, man use to have a normal life of, lets say 40-60 years and any infection, accident or disease use to finish life. But now it has increased to 90-100 or so. But the pathetic part is that many persons living that long usually looses good senses and suffers with loss of memory, Alzheimer, physical discharge controls, brittle bones, food controls, and such important functions of body. Old age is now older with the help of Antibiotics, Vitamins, surgeries, part replacements etc. Few old age people manage themselves, most are dependent on others, Medicare, nurses, special hospitals and heavy financial support etc, which if not available will make their life very demeaning miserable. I have witnessed even their children praying for their death. Many hospitals in west have a big number of such patients permanently lying there. But not many families can afford such services. Third world has more of such tragedies. There is another class of In-coma patients lying for decades.

Question:
Does Quran encourages life prolonging. I am aware that there are ayets on this concern. (46:15 on Age 40) and Qur'an teaches to be kind, helpful, and respectful to your parents (29:8, 17:23, 46:15, 19:14, 6:151, 4:36, 2:215, 2:83, 71:2
Now what could be a wise approach towards life prolonging? Is an effective life is important or even a miserable one is also good.

There are discussions that man should have a lawful discretion over discontinuing of his medication. I remember in Katarina catastrophe in Louisiana, some doctors injected such patients for their death. They were not able to move them safely. They were tried in court, but I don’t remember verdict. So the point is what are moral, religious or social aspects in this matter. Shall there be law or religious verdict in such painful cases. With time, this issue will further aggravate, as more medical progress steps in.

Sidqi
Dr. Shabbir

Aging

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear Sidqi Saheb,

You may find some thoughts on Dr. Shabbir's blog under EUTHANASIA.
Wassalam,
SA