Maidens according to Quran?

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Annas

Post by Annas »

Asslamu-alaikum dear brothers and sisters,

What are the role of maidens according to the Quran and how are they different from free women? Im reading the Quran but I can't seem to make a connection. Maidens can't be lesser in status, right? Many thanks.

Peace
Annas
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear Annas,

From slavery to employees or maids is a tremendous revolution. Maids have the same rights as other women; all humans have equal rights.

49:13 O Mankind! We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes so that you may affectionately come to know one another. Certainly, the most honored among you, in the Sight of God, is the one who is best in conduct. God is Knower, Aware.

[Min zakarinwwa untha = Of a kind that is male, and of a kind that is female = Male and female = Some of you are men and some of you are women. On this note I find myself in agreement with M. Pickthall 39]
Wassalam,
SA
Annas

Post by Annas »

Thanks for the reply Dr. Are the maidens the people being referred to in the phrase "Ma Malakat Aymanukum" (typically translated to as "what your right hands possess.")?
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear Annas,

The phrase has a better meaning: Spouses that are already rightfully yours.

Maids (not maidens) and 'what your right hands possess' - after the Qur'an's abolishing of slavery - would mean "your employees and those who work under your care or supervision."
Wassalam,
SA