3:28 - Nonbelievers as allies

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
SE

Post by SE »

3:28 (Those who reject the Laws of such an Omnipotent Creator, will not support the Divine Ideology.) Let not the believers take nonbelievers for their allies instead of (their fellow) believers. If a believer does that, he will have nothing to do with God. The persecuted are exempted (from this obligation) in order to save themselves. But God warns you of His Law of Requital. For, unto God is the ultimate destination. [AlMaseer = Ultimate destination = Journey’s end]

I'm having trouble with the meaning of awliyaa. Here it is translated as allies. I've also seen it rendered as friends and guardians, helpers.

According to Project Root List :
Waw-Lam-Ya = to be close, near, follow, be up to.

I have trouble reading Lane's Leixcon...

I feel like I may be losing something significant in translation.
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear SE,

Especially in Lughat Quraish, the Qur'anic terms have various shades of meanings depending on the context. Kindly always keep the context in mind. For context, always see at least one verse before and after.

AWLIYA = Friends = Protectors = Protecting friends = Guarding companions = Allies.
Wassalam,
SA
SE

Post by SE »

Thank you Dr. Shabbir. I reread the section again and it was much more clear today.
mubashir

Post by mubashir »

Some Muslims get carried away when they read verses about not taking Jews and Christians as friends/protectors. Those verses were revealed to respond to specific events 1400 years ago and they should come into play if that environment is duplicated today.

therefore, they must be understood in the correct perpective. Here is the golden rule:

60:7 It may well be that God will bring about affection between you and those whom you now consider enemies. Certainly, God is Able to do all things, and God is Forgiving, Merciful.

60:8 God does not forbid you from being kind, and fully equitable to those who do not fight you on account of Religion, and do not evict you
from your homelands. God loves those who lead a just, balanced life.

[Deen = Divinely Prescribed System of Life = Way of life = Collective
system of living = Religion]

60:9 God forbids you from befriending only those who fight you on account of Religion and evict you from your homelands, or help others in evicting you. Those who befriend them, will be wrongdoers
Mubashir
Toronto, Canada