God's retribution

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
M.Ali

God's retribution

Post by M.Ali »

Salam

I have read through many of the articles regarding the the "Law of Requittal" that God does put everything in place (in accordance with the sunnatullah) and we as human are totally responsible for our own deeds. There is no such thing as God's retribution its just God's law that one should follow and whoever did things not in accordance with this law they will pay the price for their deeds.

However, in the Quran there are stories of Divine retribution in the form of punishment such as earthquakes, floods etc being imposed on the people who had commited unforgiveable sin during the period of the Messenger such as Salleh, Noah, Hud etc. If such thing could happened then the same thing could happen now. So the various calamity that befall us now such as the tsunami, flood earthquakes etc are not these Divine retribution for the sins or serious faults or offences that we have commited?

What about people who are born with deformities which are in noway their fault. Is it a form of God's retribution on the faults of their parents? If so why punish them?

Hope someone could enlighten me on this issue, please. Thank you.
tammyswofford

God's retribution

Post by tammyswofford »

Salaam,

Sometimes when we write a question it touches the wound of another without our realizing it. As such, you evoke an emotional response in me that will give a personal answer to your question as to why children are deformed: Is it the sin of the father or the sin of the child?

If you were Hindu and believed in reincarnation, then the deformed child, would be born in such state due to sin in a previous life! So I will not address such twisted logic. But even hard questions deserve an attempt of an answer.

Are you asking the right question? Our minds are finite and we dwell "on the dash" which is that small line between our date of birth and date of death. But God is Eternal and sees what is before and also beyond our view.

My elder brother was born with cerebral palsy. I am less than eleven months behind him in birth order. He has always resided in a wheelchair. Did my parents sin? What sin? Did he sin? What sin? He was formed in the womb in such manner.

This I know. He has taught me compassion. I am a nurse today because of the compassion and caring which were placed into my personality as a young child, watching his many struggles.

Today he has a brain tumor. Last year, a tumor the size of an orange was removed. His life is very sad and hard. Whose sin now? Did his wife sin? He has four children. Possibly their sin?

Or is there an Eternal God, All-knowing, Wise, Infinite in Mercy by whom all things are made, sustained and nurtured. (Al-Rahman, Al-Raheem) Look at the first ayat as you open your Qur'an. Therein lies the comfort for that which is not understood by the finite mind. smile

Tammy Swofford
abshoeb

God's retribution

Post by abshoeb »

Salam

3:190 Indeed, in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of night and day, there are indeed signs for men and women who use their understanding.

3:191 (Such men and women of understanding keep reflecting upon how God’s Laws operate in the Universe.) Standing, sitting, and reclining, they observe, and reflect upon God's creation of the heavens and the earth and wonder, "Our Lord! You have not created all this without Purpose. High Above You are from creating anything in vain! Save us, then, from being negligent in attaining knowledge and thus, getting condemned to Fire.”
[When humans harness the forces of Nature and use them for the common good of all, they move away from Hell, rightfully hoping to achieve Paradise in both lives. 13]

3:192 (Reflecting on the Universe and upon their own role on the Planet, such people work for the betterment of humanity 13:17). They say, “Our Lord, individuals and nations whom You admit into the Fire - indeed You have brought them low (in both worlds, for failing to harness the Universal forces)." Remember, there are no helpers for those who displace knowledge with conjecture, and thus wrong themselves. [Zaalimeen translated according to the context]

45:12 God it is Who has made the sea of service to you that the ships may run thereon by His Command, and that you may seek of His Bounty, and that you may be grateful.

45:13 And He has made subservient to you, from Himself, all that is in the heavens and all that is on earth. Therein, behold, are signs for people and nations who reflect.

35:27 Have you not seen that God causes water to fall from the height. Then, with it We produce fruit of different colors. And in the mountains are tracts white and red, and diverse colors, and raven-black.

35:28 And of human beings, the crawling creatures and related animals, and the cattle have diverse colors and properties. This is why of all His servants only the scientists get some idea of the Glory of God (by examining the wonders in Nature). Surely, God is Almighty, Absolver of imperfections. [Dawwab = Crawling creatures and insects]
[Ulama = Scientists = Men and women of scientific knowledge. The above two verses clearly define ‘Ulama’. Please reflect how many sciences are mentioned here]

2:30 (Now is related to you the creation of Adam or mankind, in allegorical terms; when God decided to create humans who would be given free will, and supremacy on earth.) Your Lord announced His Plan to the angels (Forces of God in Nature), “Indeed, I am about to place on earth a new creation that will have dominion over it.” They exclaimed, “Will you place on it such creation as will cause disorder therein and shed blood! - But we strive to manifest Your Glory (in the Universe)!” He answered, “Surely, I know what you do not know.”

2:31 And God endowed humanity with the capacity to attain knowledge. Then He showed the angels certain things and said to them, “Tell me if you have the capacity of learning about these, if you are indeed truthful (and better qualified to have supremacy on the planet earth).” [‘Allam-al-Aadam-al-Asma = He endowed humankind with the capacity to attain knowledge]

The Quranic Philosophy

About physical events, termed . natural evil’, the Quran says: “We have not created the skies and the earth and what is between them (the Universe), but rightfully (بالحـق)” (15/75). The many-faceted word Haq here means something constructive. Contrarily, ‘باطل’ (wrong) means destructive. Therefore, the Quran pronounces the universe constructive (good) as a whole. It has been seen that there are countless FORCES OF NATURE at play according to Allah’s law. We have also seen that Man has the potential of discovering and harnessing those forces – “Whatever is between the skies and the earth is rendered harnessable for you (all)” (45/13). Until the discovery of physical laws governing a force (SCIENCE), it remains uncontrolled and destructive. It becomes constructive when harnessed. Many forces of Nature were awesomely destructive during Man’s infancy. They become constructively useful as they were gradually harnessed through scientific work. The Quran felicitates men who approach the Universe with a scientific mind and make discoveries and thus help probe the rightfulness of the Universe and its forces.

Fee Amanillah
Ali Bin Ali Alharbi (Al Madina)
Sidqi

God's retribution

Post by Sidqi »

Tammy,

I believe, nature had its rules fixed at creation. All creatures including trees have DNA's genetic codes with variations. Reproduction flaws under some uncontrolled lack of ideal developing factors show up in some flaws, both in men and trees. But they provide us two opportunites.

One, show passion towards them and thus earn good deed and get rewarded. ( Applicable to believers only).
Second, search for reason, quest for science and progress in wisdom.
( Applicable to both believers and Non-believers).

I think this is how God is Rehma all over and in every way.

Sidqi. ca
M.Ali

God's retribution

Post by M.Ali »

Salam

Sorry, if my question do evoke emotional feelings to anyone. Its never my intention to do so. I put up the question after having some discussion with friends regarding this issue. Maybe I should rephrase my question. To Tammy again I say I am sorry and sympathise with you for what happen to your elder brother. I can understand your problem as I have a brother in law who has a daughter with the same problem.

Anyway the bottomline to my question is, if the deformities to the children is due to their parents (cause there some parents who suffers from diseases such as syphilis etc due to their own doings which could cause deformities to their offspring) whilst others are living a clean life but still bore children with deformities.

Hence, it is these first categories of parents that I am referring to when I wrote "What about people who are born with deformities which are in noway their fault. Is it a form of God's retribution on the faults of their parents? If so why punish them?"

Hope this clarifies.
tammyswofford

God's retribution

Post by tammyswofford »

Al-Hadeed 22 speaks of Al-Lauh Al-Mahfuz

If all is inscribed prior to coming into existence within a Book of Decrees, then it speaks of a God of foreknowledge who fashions things not to determine their outcome but rather with an understanding of the natural course and order of outcome. The Book of Decrees is not because we are puppets but because He knows our end.

You mention a neonate affected by syphilis, which would be seen more commonly in third world countries. Missing the bridge of their nose.... we all know the drill. What about a baby born with HIV because the mother had HIV? Does it matter whether the lack of fidelity was that of the mother or the father, that brought the chain of transmission, the epidemiology down to the baby, or does it matter that we treat for disease if it is treatable?

My eldest son was adopted at birth. He passed through a birth canal with a chlamydia infection which passed on an eye infection to him. His eyes, required treatment for an infection passed on by his birth mother. Chlamydia is a sexually transmitted disease. Epidemiology at work, because God does not violate his laws.

Babies with cerebral palsy? They have special education needs and require families with patience to help them achieve their potential, even if limited.

And what of judgment?
If you read al-Qur'an, Allah precedes judgement of a nation with ample warning and time for repentance. That is justice. I believe the same to be true in understanding punishment of an individual. The "strike" that looks sudden, has been preceded by warning and opportunity to turn back from transgression. The "Warner" was also enveloped in garments. He enclosed his grandchildren, under the folds. smile Allah's justice, intersecting with the frail condition of His creation. We must be proactive in the plane of that which we understand. The rest, I just walk away from and do not lose sleep. If babies with deformity are only about Allah's wrath, then every one of us should have at least one, seated at our dinner table.

As far as babies and deformities: a new mother with a baby with cleft palate, cerebral palsy, or blindness needs our support. I prefer to bring the baby a new outfit and the mother a gift of food.

Tammy Swofford
SWasim

God's retribution

Post by SWasim »

abshoeb!

Now what do you say?

Allah says...khalaqal insaanu fee ahsane TAQWEEM......but?

There are questions beyond the NOSE OF CLEOPETRA, for which we have no answers...!
tammyswofford

God's retribution

Post by tammyswofford »

Translation of the previous please! I do not speak Arabic.

Tammy
SWasim

God's retribution

Post by SWasim »

Tammy Swofford,

Did you ask me?
Well it is Khalaqal insaana fee ahsane TAQWEEM....That surely we created humans in best of design (fashion, mould, form, symmetry)
It's Surah TEEN (THE FIG)

Why did you remove that poetic expression, about certiaiity and uncertainity? It was cool!
tammyswofford

God's retribution

Post by tammyswofford »

Thank you. I did not remove it. I do not have access to the gate. smile I read the couplet in a book.

R/Tammy
dana

God's retribution

Post by dana »

The key to all of this, is that this life is temporary. The Self the true Self our consciousness does not die. We move on to an eternal life with GOD. We are all going to die. Some of us die young, some die old. This life is but play and games. So, if a young person has been born with a deformity, that person by living by GOD's Laws still has the power to make lemons out of lemonade. Look at Stephen Hawking. Our true self is not our physical body, it is going to die and grow old and rot. However our soul, our consciousness lives on; and based on our actions in this life, regardless of our deformaties, we can grow eternally with GOD. Thus, the temporary setbacks we suffered in this world we will in hindsight gladly trade them for a eternity in the presence of GOD. This life is a test, and how we respond to that test by our actions determine our true life. Besides if we live righteously GOD will grant us heaven on earth as we live. What is more important a mere 75 to a 100 years or over a hundred trillion million?

To your other point about GOD destroying cities. GOD destroyed the cities because of their evil actions. Not out of an emotional whim. GOD spared the righteous. If you are living in accordance to GOD's Laws our life on this earth will be fine. We are all going to die anyway, so what! Why not die giving our life fighting Oppression in all its forms and helping our fellow man. So what if we die in a hurricane or a flying accident. Fear of death is pointless. Let's Die as a Man, and Woman and NOT punk out on our responsibilities on helping and giving to one another. This life is but a twinkling of an eyelash, compared to the beauty and boundless eternity awaiting us!
SWasim

God's retribution

Post by SWasim »

Dana , I agree with what you've put forward.This life is a test as Quran says it is. The human being tested by the losses in thier lives. Some born with losses, though!
Well , the life after, may be a trillion year longer but it would not have the beauty of the feelings we have in this averagely double-digited life span, I feel.
Will there be our parents? Our brother ad sisters? Our kids? like we have them here......

Is the relationship of a man and a woman is only what is defined and, of course confined as husband and wife?... Hoors , companions of eachother...same age...or being ageless...
So excuse me if I'm wrong....

Similarly there are people we want to help but we can't due to many physical restrictions or so, so we rely on praying for them only. Won't we miss this sympathy!

I know we are required to be thankful for all we have blessed with, and approach positively as much as we should but we can't help ourselves from being hurt by the negativities of life!
abshoeb

God's retribution

Post by abshoeb »

Respected Br S Wasim Assalamalikum

Laqad Qalaqanal insana fee ahsani taqweem

here doesn't mean phisical body.

95:4 Indeed, We have created the human being in the best design (and with the potential to grow the ‘self’.)

Allah have bestowed man with the ability to nourish and develop his self and lead a balanced life in a dignified manner.

Fee Amanillah
Ali Bin Ali Alharbi (Al Madina)
Arnold Yasin Mol

God's retribution

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Tammy Swofford,
Why did you remove that poetic expression, about certiaiity and uncertainity? It was cool!

Salaam,

It was removed because the quote referred to that Caliph Ali promoted the concept of Fatalism, which is a complete nonsense. And thus anything that is attributed to the Prophet or companions that goes against the Quran is trash.

Only an Iblis believes his fate is fixed, so he can deny any responsibility:

7:16 Iblis said, "Since You have willed that I go astray, I will lurk in ambush for them in Your Straight Path.”

A true Adam, human, will accept the responsibility of Free Will and thus the complete responsibility:

7:23 They said, "Our Lord! We have wronged ourselves. Unless You forgive and protect us and have Mercy and Provide us [with Guidance], we will certainly be lost.” [Tagfir=To forgive and protect against the consequences like a shield. Raheem=To provide out of Mercy]

After reading this, can you still believe the respected Ali could have said that mankind's fate is fixed?

And if I may add my share. Yes, God says Life is a test. But we must not forget His Attributes. He is called Rabb, the One who develops and nourishes something from one stage to the next. Or in short, The Nourisher to Perfection.

He is called Rahman and Raheem, the One who develops and nurtures the Universe and everything within and brings it to the final stage without asking anything in return just a womb develops a foetus.

Raheem and Ghafour together mean the Provider of Guidance so Mankind can protect itself and develop themselves. [Raheem=provider, Ghafour=the Protector]

And there are many more Attributes that show that Life was created to develop themselves. Thus the test is PART of the development.

Development is the main reason of existence.
SWasim

God's retribution

Post by SWasim »

Arnold Yasin Mol

That couplet was just a thought about certianity and uncertianity, which is only a human feeling. No one attributed it , in favour of Quranic teachings or against it. So it's not the issue, perheps!

Sometimes things are not taken at the same level, for example I read somewhere that a the hadith in which it is mention that there is EVIL(saitaan) in open things (esp. food) is strange, but not to me , I only think that it is meaningful in sense that open food gets contaminated easily, so it must be covered. The evil or shaitaan has it's expanded meanings too.

So I agree to what you have stated about expanded idea of development TAQWEEM , yet,we as humans are fragile emotional beings, exposed to many other problems.
dana

God's retribution

Post by dana »

How can you be born with a loss? That presupposes that you cannot overcome that deficit that you were born with and lead a fruitful existence. Lets suppose one was born in slavery. Now that's a loss. What do you do? How can you live a fruitful existence? Well, lets look at the life of Frederick Douglas, a man born a slave not allowed even to read, yet was able to overcome this horrible atrocity and become a lawyer and great humanitarian. Study the life of Nat Turner another man born in slavery yet fought oppression and led an uprising against evil and gave his life in doing so. That is a great life. You cannot tell me if you study these men that they did not lead a life fulfilled; even though they were born in horrific conditions. You can look at anything and make it seem unjust. The point here is that GOD takes care of those who live by his Laws. That is an universal truth. If this is not true then we might as well blow our brains out right now and call it a day. Because if evil rules the day then there is no justice in this life. However if you study history, you learn that evil is always overcome by people working together for the good of humanity. You only catch hell in life if you are giving others hell. Likewise you catch bliss by giving to others. Lets look at the babies and children maimed and murdered in Iraq. This is horrific. Yet if GOD is GOD, then it would have to be, that a greater life is awaiting them and us. Because if this life is all that there is, this existence sucks. However, GOD says do you think that you live this life and we do not remake you. The Quran is filled with allegories of a greater existence.

Finally, eternity with The King of Kings and eternal bliss would have to infinitely greater than any second of any experience we have on this world. If it is not, then GOD would not be GOD. All you can do is look at the beauty of the sunset and imagine the bliss and beauty that awaits us. With that said, we must work to build our own heaven here as we live. I know the beauty that GOD can bring to a life, for I an a living witness to
this. Before I began to watch my actions and worship GOD and only GOD, my life was hell. Then I turned it around through my actions and GOD has blessed me. So if GOD is doing this for me, then I know he can and is doing this for others.
Arnold Yasin Mol

God's retribution

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

That couplet was just a thought about certianity and uncertianity, which is only a human feeling. No one attributed it , in favour of Quranic teachings or against it. So it's not the issue, perheps!

Salaam,

The acclaimed couplet clearly stated that his death was fixed, and thus claimed a falsehood against Caliph Ali. This is against the Forum Policy, to much nonsense has been claimed in the name of the companions and the Prophet.

We do not allow them, and Tammy knows this.
tammyswofford

God's retribution

Post by tammyswofford »

Dearest Respected Arnold:

Flip the coin on the couplet I included. While you saw fatality I saw rather, a numbering of our days. Within that numbering of our days which cannot be changed, we must take that which is within our hands and make our lives count. Have you heard the clackity-clack of a weaver's loom powered by poor sandaled feet? I heard it many times in the villages of Oaxaca where I spent my childhood. Life, is over that quickly!

I have never been fatalistic about life. We all die. I view life as a green light of proactivity not a red light of indecision. I do not wish to die in my sleep but rather with my foot in motion. To acknowledge, as did the couplet, that we live within a vault of time on the temporal plane prior to moving into the the Eternal, is not necessarily fatalism but realism. smile

And here is a little tongue-in-cheek joke regarding death:

"I hope to die in my sleep like my grandfather.... not screaming in terror, like the passengers in the car with him."

Best regards, and know that I do not support a fatalism which produces lack of productivity and hopelessness.

Tammy Swofford