What's the meaning of MASJID

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
abdullah

Post by abdullah »

Salam

I'm wondering what's the meaning of MASJID according to Al-Quran. In general term people understand where the SAJDA is performed (i.e part of ritual Namaz) that place is called MASJID.

On different verses in the Quran word "Masjid" used like MASJID-IL HARAM etc.

Thanks
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Abdullah,

The word MaSjid means literally 'The Place of Submission'. In the Quran, to my understanding, it refers to 3 types of Masjids.

One is the local Masjid where everyone goes for Jumaah, this place is also the local courtroom, cityhall, school and so on. You also have the Masjid as the Government house. The Masjid of verse 9:107-110, is talking about a group that rebelled and made their own Masjid, the Believers were not allowed to enter this, because that would mean they acknowledge that Masjid as the Government.

9:107 (The hypocrites keep making schemes) They built a Masjid out of
mischief and to promote disbelief, and sectarianism among the believers, and as an outpost for those who warred against God and His Messenger before. They will surely swear, “We had but good intentions”, but God bears witness that they are liars.
9:108 You shall not stand in such a Masjid! (6:160) There is a Masjid whose foundation was laid from the first day on the Secure Way, it is more worthy that you stand therein. In it are men who love to be purified, and God loves those who keep clean of division and sectarianism.

Second one is, where it stands for ANY place where the Laws of Allah are followed, this can be a country, school, your house and even your own mind. Masjid-AlHaram literally means 'The Place that submits to the Restrictions of Allah'. I believe this mostly refers to a country, and not a building.

And the 3rd one is a System that submits and follows the Laws of Allah.

2:114 Who can be a greater transgressor than the one who forbids
from submitting to the Prescribed Way of Life? And thus hinders
His Name from becoming Eminent, and strives for ruining the
System! They have no right to be part thereof except in awe and
humility. (Otherwise) theirs is humiliation in this world and a
tremendous suffering in the Hereafter.

[9]

Let's see if other members also have any thoughts...
Mahmood Qasmi

Post by Mahmood Qasmi »

While there is no disagreement with Arnold's definition, I would like to add that Al-Masjid Al-Haraam could also mean "The State of Mind as it Submits to The Restriction" as is outlined in 22:26 in my opinion:

وإذ بوأنا لإبرهيم مكان البيت أن لا تشرك بي شيءا وطهر بيتي للطائفين والقائمين والركع السجود

It seems logical since that is how you would raise the foundations of the Ka'bah in the first place. It all starts with the mind.
Mahmood Qasmi
Toronto, Canada
abdullah

Post by abdullah »

Salam

It looks appropriate to call any place "MASJID". As per my understanding a Muslim/Submitter is person who submits to Allah's laws from head (including mind and heart) to toe. So If muslim's mind or heart is not in submissive state then s/he is not supposed to be called MUSLIM.

Please correct me if I'm wrong that word "Masjid" in the Quran is refering to mind or heart of any person.

Thanks
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Abdullah,

Yes it is wrong to limit Masjid only to mind and heart as then you would end up in many contradictions.

Is the Masjid in verses 9:107-109 a mind and heart? Of course not, as people can enter it. Do not make verses allegorical when it is unnecessary. Masjid in the Quran refers to all things mentioned above by me and Mahmut, and maybe to some others things yet to be understood. The word can be understood on at least 4 to 5 different levels, literal and allegorical.

I believe the key to understanding the terms in the Quran is approaching them from a society level and then from an individual level. So masjids as governmentbuildings and cityhalls is the first understanding, then the allegorical individual understanding of heart and mind can be understood.
tammyswofford

Post by tammyswofford »

Does not the word masjid have as its root a three letter Arabic word for prostration? I am working from my memory bank, not my notes.

Tammy
Mahmood Qasmi

Post by Mahmood Qasmi »

Does not the word masjid have as its root a three letter Arabic word for prostration? I am working from my memory bank, not my notes.

Tammy
maSJiD is derived from the root SJD for which only one of the meanings infers a physical action... As such, even al-najam-u wa al-shajar-u yaSJuDaan.

س ج د = Siin-Jiim-Dal = lowly, humble, submissive, hear & obey, prostrate, lower/bend oneself down towards the ground, lower the head, to salute/honour/magnify, to pay respect, to stand up, to look continuedly and tranquily.
Mahmood Qasmi
Toronto, Canada
tammyswofford

Post by tammyswofford »

Thank you, Respected Mahmood. I knew it was three letters, but not in succession. You provided a lexicon-style explanation which I appreciate very much. smile

Tammy Swofford
Dallas, TX.